Bones are an essential part of our body and keeping bones healthy is also an important task which all of us should understand. Not only they provide structure to our body but also protect our organs and anchor our muscles. During childhood and teenage life, it is necessary to build healthy bones. Don’t worry; you can act on this at your adulthood too.
What is Osteoporosis?
Bone keeps changing continuously. New bones are made and old bones are broken down. At the young age, the body makes new bones faster than breaking down the old one while it is vice-versa at adulthood. Osteoporosis is a condition where bones get weak and brittle.
Here are the ways to build healthy bones:
- Include Calcium in your diet: Good amount of calcium in your food can increase the density of your bone. It will reduce the chances of fractures.
- More amount of Vitamin D: It is essential for the absorption of Calcium. One must know that oily fish, egg yolks, and fortified milk are some good sources of vitamin D. Sunlight also helps in producing Vitamin D in one’s body.
3. Be active: You can stay active through physical activities, exercise, and yoga. Active people have the lower risk for osteoporosis.
4. Family History: You are at a greater risk of having osteoporosis if any of your family members is suffering from same.
5. Consume less caffeine: Consumption of too much caffeine can interfere with the ability of a body to absorb calcium. In fact, no need to quit entirely.
6. Reduction in alcohol: No need to give up alcohol completely. But drinking too much can lead to bone loss.
7. Say No to smoking: Smoking does not allow your body to absorb calcium completely which further reduces bone mass.
It is your body and you need to take care of it. Moreover, be cautious about the things that affect your bone density and mass. Prevention is better than cure.